martes, 14 de julio de 2020

Saying goodbye

The last two days have not been very pleasant. A very good friend of the family passed away yesterday morning. Even though it was something expected because he had been fighting terminal cancer for more than a year, it was not easy to say goodbye to him. A lot of good memories with him have come to my mind during the time we spent at the funeral home, at church, and at the cemetery.
I met him a few years ago through my in-laws. He was the Catholic priest of the church where they go to Mass every Sunday, and they became friends. He came very often to have lunch with us and was a part of the family.
I must say that I was educated as a Catholic, but since more than a couple of decades ago, I consider myself as an agnostic. However, that fact didn't suppose any problem between us. That was one of the things that impressed me more about him, besides his sense of humor, humility, and kindness. He was a friend to me, and I am going to miss him a lot. I really hope that he will be in a much better place from now on, and someday, if he is right we will have the chance to meet again in the afterlife.

Bye, Manuel.

P.S. Let me remember the song your phone played when you had a call (Twist and Shout, by The Beatles):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-VAxGJdJeQ

No hay comentarios: