domingo, 1 de julio de 2012

Dreaming

I have just received a message in my phone. It is a poll about the actions to take against the last politician found guilty of accepting bribes. There are three basic choices: to let him out, to let him out and pay a fine for the double of the money he accepted, or to fire him and send him to jail for 2 years. You can also send your suggestions for the punishment, but I think the second one would be fair. There are still almost 12 hours left to send my vote. I will use my computer because the Internet connection in my phone is not completely reliable, but if you are answering an official poll there is no charge applied to the message.
By tomorrow noon the sentence chosen will be known, and 24 hours later it will be effective. I consider this punishments necessary and really effective in order to discourage other public servants to take advantage of their position to get personal profit. Besides, since this idea has been put in practice, the cases of corruption discovered have decreased in more than 65%.
I remembered when this system based in phone messages were used in those old TV programs like "Big brother" and the like to help to decide which of the participants were going to be sent home (expelled). It was a dark time in our recent history, however the consequences of that and other stupid things that happened then made people think, and in the end take control of the situation before it was too late. Back then, there were a lot of tools, but we needed to start using technology for something useful and not just to waste our time and don't think about things that really matter.
In my opinion, one of the most important decisions we take in the past using this system was about the maximum wages, and the ways to pay workers for their extra effort, or their value for a company. Finally, it was decided that there would be a standard monthly pay for every worker in the country, and there would be extra benefits in the form of days off, or to accumulate points that can be used to get promotions, change your job location, etc. The standard salary allows everybody to live with all needs covered and even some luxuries are possible.

This is just fiction, but I would love to read something like this during my lifetime. Do you think it will be possible? You can send an SMS to ...

No hay comentarios: