domingo, 23 de noviembre de 2008

Modern piracy


I've just read an article in an British newspaper about the recent ships captured in Indian Ocean by Somalian pirates. The journalist who wrote the story explains that the pirate who answered the phone sounded him more Captain Jack Sparrow than bloodthirsty Blackbeard. This almost comic opinion is likely because the pirates do not use to harm crew of vessels they seize. Although, this problem is rising fast and goverments and shipping companies are trying to solve it or minimize it as far as they can.
Several Goverments are sending warships to the zone to try to protect their ships from this plague avoiding that the last captures can be repeated and offering some security to the international trade, fishing, and other maritime activities developed in that zone menaced by piracy on last months. On the other hand, shipping companies like Maerks are changing the routes of their more vulnerable vessels to improve the security despite the rise of costs.
Some experts said that this actions will not solve the problem because the area to control is very wide and the source of the problem is the anarchy that rules Somalia. They propose that international organizations and goverments try to urge a change in Somalia's political situation.



Comments:

I want to explain that I am using this blog as a way to improve my English writing skills, then I have to tell that while I was reading the article that I mentioned in this post and when I was writing previous lines I have learnt some new vocabulary. I am going to write a list below with the new words and expressions I have learnt.

  • wreak havoc: to cause chaos or damage

  • mangled: mutilated or disfigurated

  • off: seaward

  • ransom money: money demanded for the return of a captured person or property

  • plunder: property stolen by force

No hay comentarios: