miércoles, 1 de junio de 2011

Speaking


Today has been a special day for me. I had my first oral English exam at the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Vigo. Actually, today was the first part of the exam, the speaking. As you can imagine, it is all about speaking English.
I got to the school quite early because I thought I could have problems to park my car. However, I parked my car quickly and right next to the school. In fact, I even had time to have a coffee and read the newspaper before going to the building where the exams were going to take place. There were a lot of students there with their notes, trying to study until the very last minute before entering the class to take the exam.
The exam was a complete mistery to me. For that reason, I asked one of the students to tell me about the exam, mainly about the way it is usually carried out. She told me it consisted of two parts. Firstly, I would have 10 minutes to prepare a small script for a presentation about a subject I would choose among three possible options. Then, I would have to make a presentation in front of two teachers who would evaluate my performance.
The second part of the exam would involve a discussion with the teacher about a different subject. I would have to defend my point of view and express my disagreement with teacher's opinions.
The subject I had to talk about was technology and, more precisely, how the communication media evolved in last decades. I talked about the Internet and the effects, positive and negative, that this global network is causing in people and how the world is changing because of it.
After finishing my presentation I had to talk about nuclear power plants, wind generated energy and solar panels. I decided to focus in the big risk that the nuclear energy represents. In my opinion, the risks attached to nuclear energy should be prioritized over all the advantages it provides. So, I think we should try to obtain energy from other clean sources like the sun, the wind, ocean tides or any other practical options that don't involve any kind of risk for the population living next to the power plants.
The exam was not too long, however it was quite intense. I think I could have done it better, but I hope I did it well enough to pass the exam. Anyway, I will have to wait until June 13th to know the results. Besides, I still have to take the other exams next Monday (reading, listening and writing). Wish me luck.

No hay comentarios: